A Canadian man who gunned down six people in a mosque in Quebec City in 2017 was sentenced to life in prison with no parole for 40 years, CTV reported on Friday.
Alexandre Bissonnette, 29, pleaded guilty in March last year to six counts of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder. He walked into the mosque at the Islamic Cultural Centre during evening prayers on Jan. 29, 2017 and opened fire.
Quebec Superior Court Justice Francois Huot delivered the ruling Friday in a packed Quebec courtroom. He called the shooting attack premeditated, gratuitous and insidious.
The judge told Bissonnette, wearing a blue blazer and white shirt, to leave the prisoners' box and stand in front of him as he read the ruling. The judge said the day of the murders "will forever be written in blood in the history of this city, this province, this country."