Asia Pacific
Philippine government says 40 Filipinos so far injured by fireworks
Last Updated: 2018-12-29 11:04 | Xinhua
 Save  Print   E-mail

The Philippine health department said on Friday that it has so far recorded 40 fireworks-related injuries nationwide from December 21 this year.

The Philippine Department of Health (DOH), which kicked off its injury monitoring program in connection with the Christmas and News Year festivities, said that out of the 40 cases, four were required to undergo amputation, while 13 were related to eye injuries.

"This is 38 cases lower compared to the same reporting period of 2017 and 115 cases lower to 5-year average," said the DOH.

One of the cases includes a 12-year-old boy from Nueva Ecija province, north of Manila, who sustained a blast injury after handling an illegal firecracker. The boy lost his left middle finger as a result.

Almost half of the overall number of injuries were caused by illegal fireworks, the DOH noted.

The DOH also said that majority or about 90 percent of those who suffered injuries from fireworks are male and those who sustained injuries were between the ages of 2 and 69.

Lighting up firecrackers and fireworks have always been a part of the revelry in the Philippines especially during Christmas and New Year's Eve. Like in other Asian countries Filipinos believe the practice will drive away bad luck and bad spirits as they welcome the new year.

The DOH's fireworks related injuries surveillance will continue up to Jan. 5, 2019.

0
Share to 
Related Articles:
Most Popular
BACK TO TOP
Edition:
Chinese | BIG5 | Deutsch
Link:    
About CE.cn | About the Economic Daily | Contact us
Copyright 2003-2015 China Economic Net. All right reserved